Asbestos is largely a thing of the past, but it still comes back to haunt St. Louis homeowners when it is found and must be removed. Most people know of the potential health risks that come with exposure to asbestos, and that it must be expertly removed and disposed of if found in their home or office.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral substance, which was once a common ingredient in construction materials because its fibers are soft and flexible, yet heat and corrosion resistant. Asbestos is an effective insulator in its pure form and it can be added to other materials to make them stronger.

Unfortunately, asbestos’ tiny fibers, which can be pulled into a fluffy consistency, are also what make it highly toxic to humans. The fibers can get trapped in the lungs and body, they never dissolve and are very hard for the body to dispel. The trapped fibers are known to cause scarring to the lungs (asbestosis), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and two types of cancer (mesothelioma and lung cancer).

This material is so potentially dangerous to our health that the state of Missouri requires that, under certain circumstances, buildings must be inspected for asbestos before being renovated or demolished. Only certified asbestos inspectors and contractors may deal with its removal and disposal.

In every case when doing a home renovation in St. Louis, or if asbestos is suspected, the best course of action is to have a qualified asbestos inspector test the material and assess the situation. If removal is recommended, a certified asbestos contractor should come out to safely handle its disposal.

Our experienced technicians at Rapid Dry have specialized training in the proper handling and disposal of asbestos materials. If you have confirmed or suspected asbestos in your St. Louis home or office, call us today to have it safely and efficiently removed.